Skip to main content
Topic: Simple ways to make veggies even more delicious! (Read 58 times) previous topic - next topic

Simple ways to make veggies even more delicious!

Bake them. Put baking paper on a baking tray, lightly oiled & add veggies cut into sizes that would have them cooking at roughly the same time. This can include potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots, parsnips, onion, whole garlic cloves, mushrooms, red beet, eggplant....whatever you think you may like. Sprinkle with some salt & pepper & add some fresh herbs if you have them. I like adding Rosemary.
Pre-heat oven to 425oF (220oC)
Place the tray in the oven & cook for about 30 minutes. Check the veg to see if it's tender.
You learn cooking times as you go & also how small to cut some things up. It's trial & error. I figure that I can eat most veggies raw, so it doesn't matter if sometimes they are crunchy. Baked veggies are my favourite.
Sauté with Herbs. To infuse your vegetables with flavour and mouth-watering aromas, sauté them in a little olive oil, garlic and herbs of your choice (basil, oregano, thyme, etc). Fresh is always best I think, but dried in moderation is ok.
Healthy Dipping! Dip your raw vegetables (such as carrots, celery, broccoli and cauliflower) into a nutrient-rich, high-protein dip like hummus, which can be eaten as a side dish or with whole grains.
Mix with Fruit. A great way to combine both fruit and vegetables is in a salad. A tasty way to do this is to start with spinach & some lettuce, add halved cherries, sliced strawberries and walnuts and toss in an orange-based vinaigrette. Add some mint too. Walnuts are delicious in a salad.
Grill them. Grill some zucchini long enough for them to become softer and have grill lines on them (but make sure not to burn them!). Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with oregano. Grilled mushrooms & eggplant are also delicious I think.
A Tangy Surprise! Add a squeeze of lemon juice after you steam your vegetables. It can add a nice surprise to spinach or broccoli. We use bamboo steamers on top of an old wok.

Re: Simple ways to make veggies even more delicious!

Reply #1
Like!!