Skip to main content
Topic: Dendeng (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic

Dendeng

Dendeng (Dried, spiced meat)

Adapted from “The Complete Asian Cookbook” by Charmaine Solomon.
Prepared this way meat can be kept for a long while. (Good luck with that!)
Use raw meat or if you’ve roasted a big piece of meat & it has been tough then this will work well.
Dendeng can be served as an accompaniment to a meal of rice & veggies, but we usually serve it cold, as a snack.

Ingredients.
1 kg round or topside steak (beef or venison)
5 tablespoons peanut oil (or veg or olive oil)
2 cloves garlic
½ teaspoon finely grated (or small sliced pieces) fresh ginger
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon oyster or fish sauce
1& ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon Sambal Oelek
6 tablespoons dark soy sauce(we use the ABC one)
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
3 teaspoons palm sugar (or brown sugar)
Optional- 1 teaspoon roasted Belanchan (dried shrimp paste)

Method
Cut meat into thin slices, about 5cm or 2”. Heat oil in a large fry pan & fry the garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin & tamarind paste for a minute or 2, then add salt, sambal, soy & fish or oyster sauce.
Add meat & fry, stirring until the meat is coated with spice mixture.
Reduce heat, cover pan & let cook over a very low heat for 30-40 mins, stirring occasionally.
Uncover, add sugar, stir to dissolve & cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, just simmering, until the liquid evaporates. This should take about an hour.

The meat will be very brown, but not burnt, liquid gone, with oil coming out from the meat & visible at the edge of the pan. Leave to cool & store in the fridge. We prefer to eat it cold, rather than reheating it.
I'll work out calories sometime (maybe) but if anyone cares to, feel free. 
This is one of our favourite things.

Re: Dendeng

Reply #1
This looks amazing.  I had to look up Sambal Oelek.  It made me want to rush out to the Asian market and buy some.  I'm definitely trying this recipe!

Re: Dendeng

Reply #2
Dendeng is one of our favourites! Sambal Oelek we buy in a large jar. I like it’s flavour & it adds something that fresh chillies don’t.