Skip to main content
Topic: Periodisation (Read 21 times) previous topic - next topic

Periodisation

For those looking to build strength, science has shown consistently  in a range of studies, periodisation for strength training out performs the gains from a non periodised strength training program.  There is still debate as to which style of periodisation works best  depending on a heap of different factors, but they all work better than not periodising.

The same cannot be said for those looking to train for hypertrophy, where the science is roughly a 50/50 split between periodised/non periodised training.

If there is an interest in a template for writing an annual plan let me know and I will upload an excel file.

Re: Periodisation

Reply #1
Interesting. Curious to learn whether there's an actual difference between strength and hypertrophy regarding periodization or if strength training research is just further along. Time will tell, I guess.

Reply #2
Interesting. Curious to learn whether there's an actual difference between strength and hypertrophy regarding periodization or if strength training research is just further along. Time will tell, I guess.

The studies for hypertrophy and periodisation around half have come back as no difference and half in favour of periodisation. It could be that strength relies on a mix of hypertrophy and neural adaptation rather than all hypertrophy. It is well known that a lot of bodybuilders look strong with a lot of muscle mass but often they are not particularly strong.

Reply #3
Huh, th
It could be that strength relies on a mix of hypertrophy and neural adaptation rather than all hypertrophy
That should be true based on what we know about the body but I would've expected that athletes training for maximum strength in the specific lifts they compete in would get the best neural adaptation for that through training exactly that while balanced hypertrophy might require a bit more variety but it's exactly the opposite. Goes to show how little I know!