Skip to main content
Topic: Healthy Pets (Read 31 times) previous topic - next topic

Healthy Pets

Pets are family members. Like humans, they need love, health care, and attention. But pet parents’ relationships with their pets are not one sided. Pets give so much back in return, improving the health of our minds, bodies, and hearts.
This topic is for ways we that we can look after our pets. I will start off with Archie's biscuits  :))
Archie’s Coconut Delight Dog Biscuits
INGREDIENTS
    • 1 ½ cups brown rice flour
    • ½ cup coconut flour
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 large egg
    • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
INSTRUCTIONS
 Preheat Oven To 350º and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
    • In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour and coconut flour.
    • Make a well in the centre of the flour. Add water, egg, and coconut oil. With a spoon, mix the ingredients until they go from wet to crumbly looking. Then, using your hands, knead the dough for several minutes, eventually forming a dough ball.
    • Sandwich dough ball in between two pieces of baking paper. With a rolling pin, roll dough to about 1/4" thick. Stamp with cookie cutters or just half cut into squares or rectangles & place biscuits on the baking sheet.
    • Bake in 350º oven for 20 mins. Once the timer goes off, flip the treats over and make another 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them as everybody's oven can be different which could alter baking times.
    • Transfer treats to a wire rack to cool.
NOTES
Store these treats in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for 3 months.

Re: Healthy Pets

Reply #1
I find it funny. I feed my dog healthy food, meanwhile I don't eat healthy.  Crazy how my dogs health is more important than my own!

Reply #2
Why is that do you think? I think it's important that we all eat healthy & we are responsible for our own health & wellbeing. Our pets can't feed themselves of course & are totally dependant on us & we are responsible for their wellbeing. We are all deserving of good nutrition.

Reply #3
Our family guinea pig has an alternative non PC name "fatty" he begs for treats from everybody who walks past him, and purrs when fed. Often managing to get extra treats when a family member is unaware he has already been fed something tasty in addition to his hay which is needed for his good health.

Reply #4
Cute. Archie would eat as much wallaby poo as he could if I let him!

Reply #5
Possibly because while a pet being happy with their treat is rewarding it doesn't reach as deeply into our brains to flip the happiness switches as chocolate does.